Thursday, January 22, 2009

Don't Shower with your Mouth Open

Sorry blog fans! Came down with a wicked fever yesterday afternoon and couldn't post. William had assumed that I had either lost my blackberry or died.  Both were equally likely, but neither true.

In any case, before the hallucinations set in, we had a big day.  We woke up early in the morning to tour around Jaipur (home of the Monkey Thieves) with our misogynistic tour guide.  Let me tell you, the roofs of Jaipur are literally paved in monkeys.  There were monkeys everywhere.  Awesome.  None of them did tricks, but they did play in trees and jump on stuff.

We saw the Palace of the Winds (still not clear what that was, though it has lots of little windows for lots of little women to watch little parades without being seen), the City Palace and Textile Museum (home of the current Maharaja and of the biggest silver objects in the world - urns), and the Lake Palace (former summer home of royalty built smack in the middle of a lake, soon to be a hot new restaurant).  We also saw an eighteenth century observatory, which was quite possibly the coolest thing yet.  There was a sun dial for everything - for the time, for the astrological sign we were in, for whether it was summer or winter, and I think even for telling you when brunch was ready.  I'm always amazed when eighteenth century hicks are better at math than I am. Our tour guide made sure to find ways to point out that men were smarter than Christina, so I took comfort in that.

After all those sites, we went to the Amber Fort, which I kept calling the Agra Fort, even though we weren't in Agra.  It was also similar to the Agra fort, and also had lots of little windows for little women.

And then I got sick.  Luckily, we were driving from Jaipur to Agra, so I basically passed out the whole way.  Not sure what I had, but I think I'm killing it softly with antibiotics.  Oh well.

More this evening, space people.

Monkey sightings: so... many... monkeys...

P.S.  If you're going to have a bumper sticker on your rickshaw that says spitting causes TB, maybe you should think about not spitting out of your rickshaw.

1 comment:

  1. monkeys! Tuberculosis! antibiotics! oh my!


    do not die in inja.

    ReplyDelete